A few years ago, Facebook had a tag-fest, wherein, if you were “tagged” by someone who posted their own list of “25 Random Things About Me…,” you were then supposed to post your own. I was talking to an acquaintance a couple weeks ago, and something came up in conversation that reminded me of one of the 25 things I wrote about myself. I hadn’t seen it in years, so I was surprised to find that I would say almost the exact same things still. Maybe the more things change, the more they stay the same, right?
Here’s my list. I’ll leave it to you to figure out which one of these came up in conversation and which one is definitely not true… but I’d love it if it were….
1. I am 98% sure I would sell 98% of my stuff so I could spend my remaining days traveling the world.
2. I’m only truly warm if I am on a beach. Otherwise, I’m always, always, always cold.
3. I think shoes make the outfit. And I love heels, which is odd, because where I live, I have no where to wear them. I still buy them, though; I consider myself the Imelda Marcos of my tiny town.
4. I have no favorite food, just certain foods that go with certain experiences or emotions. I truly don’t prefer salty or sweet, but I have an affinity for dark chocolate. I’m currently infatuated with dark chocolate with chilis, salted caramel, buffalo chicken anything, and carne asada.
5. Exercise is one way I keep my sanity. I can think or not think when I am exercising. However, I get bored easily by doing one kind of exercise over and over. I have to keep changing what I do to challenge myself both physically and mentally.
6. I absolutely love to read. I can only sit still if I am deep in the middle of a book. Otherwise, I’m antsy. Even if I’m watching TV, I have to have a book or magazine in my hands. It drives my family crazy that I do that. I feel the same when they have electronic devices in their hands while watching TV.
7. I loved homeschooling because I got to really be with my kids all day long. It also drove me mad to be with them all day long, but all things considered, I am so blessed to know them as intimately as I do.
8. My taste in music is pretty eclectic. I like everything from Puccini to TobyMac to Etta James to U2 to the Fratellis. But my all-time favorite piece of music is Claire de Lune by Debussy.
9. I am a fan of Milton Friedman.
10. I cry when I’m sad, scared, happy, watching Braveheart, a Hallmark commercial, or even listening to the “Star Spangled Banner.”
11. My real name is Nikki and I used to run the Treadstone ops in Paris.
12. I used to envision that I would grow up to be a writer. I am working on that habit every day so that I still can be.
13. A great day for me would include Crescent Beach on Siesta Key, a run at sunrise, a walk at sunset, a book, and a margarita.
14. I have known too many people that have died way too early.
15. I think the Beatles are the best band ever.
16. My strategery for overcoming my shyness is to find the one person who looks lonelier/more uncomfortable/quieter than me, and ask them a bunch of questions.
17. I love college football. This is a remnant from being an only child and a girl. My dad needed someone who would cheer for his beloved Buckeyes (National Champs 2015!) so that was me. Incidentally, I would just once like to be on the defensive line so I could knock the snot out of someone!
18. I have seen and experienced too much to ever doubt God’s existence. I have seen and felt His provision, grace, compassion, faithfulness, and love more than I have ever not felt it. He is real, and He is good, and I wish everyone knew Him like I do.
19. I like order and organization, but have realized that there are far more important things in life to spend my time concerned about.
20. I’ve kissed the Blarney Stone, been in a death spiral in an airplane, picked up a hitchhiker in a foreign country, and been on scavenger hunt in a national park. I think I would make an excellent contestant on The Amazing Race.
21. I robbed the cradle when I married my husband. He’s 3 1/2 years younger than me, but when I met him, he was more mature than anyone I had dated. He is still my best friend after almost 28 years of marriage. He gets me, puts up with me, and still loves me.
22. The part of aging I enjoy most is feeling confident about my strengths and okay with my weaknesses. The part I don’t like is feeling that I should still be able to do things my knees or shoulders won’t let me.
23. Unless I’m horribly sick, I’m unable to take naps, and I’m almost never sick.
24. I love laughing. Unfortunately, I always laugh when someone falls, so I look like a very callous individual. Actually, I’m very compassionate, but if you fall, I’ll laugh before I help you. Sorry.
25. Morning is my favorite time of day. Not only do I get a lot accomplished, but I’ve always loved the warm, sleepy hugs from my family as they woke up. It always starts my day off right.