Maybe it’s just the weather, but I want out of here! Sunny, warm, breezy, blue. Those are words that just resonate with me lately. That, and we’ve got plans to do some traveling this year, and well, the planning has made me ready. I love traveling. Just looking at all the possibilities I’ve come across through the planning has made me anxious to get the party started, so to speak. And two of my kids are having extraordinary adventures of their own, so I’m sort of feeling like George Bailey stuck in Bedford Falls. I have my suitcases and grand plans, but yet, here I am. Waiting to go. Oh, I know that we’ll see these plans through, but I it’s like when, as a kid racing someone and the “announcer” shouting out “Ready, Set. Go!” And your body and mind were twitching in anticipation.
That’s me lately. Full stop anticipation. (Um, do you hear Carly Simon singing right about now?)
Not that I want to wish my life away. Truly. But plans, and the planning and the fruition of the plans are usually just so delightful, aren’t they?
I was reading an article this week on specific German words for unusual kinds of maladies, and this word and definition stood out:
Fernweh is the opposite of homesickness. It is the longing for travel, or getting out there beyond the horizon, what you might call… awaysickness.
Yes! Sometimes there aren’t words for what we’re feeling. And then on occasion, you are blessed with finding out there actually is a word; it’s just in a foreign language! Still… I’ll take it. But now you know a new (German) word, and have a little insight into my thoughts lately.
Here are the Monday links:
- No more Skymall on plane trips to pass the time
- Why rain smells the way it does
- Babies experiencing tunnels – too adorable for words
- Scientists may have found a cure for peanut allergies
- My favorite, favorite TV show ended this week; how it kept us interested in a cynical age
- It’s almost Meyer lemon season, and this tart looks sooooo good
- Lemon is on my mind… savory barley breakfast dish with lemon yogurt sauce
- Tell people they matter. They won’t forget it.
- Research reveals causes of depression
- Chick-Fil-A is giving away free coffee through the month
- Make your own hand sanitizer
- Now that I’m only cooking for two(ish), this recipe converter makes dividing recipes much easier
- Try easy – this post by Kristin Armstrong was so meant for me and other Type A’s out there
- How cool would this be to have for outside parties? Glow-in-the-dark table
- I’m a big fan of using your body weight to stay in shape – the only 12 exercises you need
- For the country that started the whole freedom experiment, it’s sad that we’re now #12
- How to fold things like an adult – how to fold the plastic grocery bag makes so. much. sense!
- Homemade vanilla chai tea latte mix – I’ve made this and I love how you can tailor the spices to your liking
- Secrets of Amazon’s warehouse employees
- My daughter is obsessed with this kale salad. And now I am too…
- I keep adding books to my list of “I want to read this!“
- Bacon-cheddar cauliflower chowder – low carb and delicious!
- DIY photo light globes – on my list of someday craft projects!
- Since I just learned how to make biscuits… I might get this handmade ash biscuit cutter (by a pastor!) as a thank-you for my teacher
- The strategy behind winning at Rock Paper Scissors
- 10 skin care myths debunked
- Red Velvet Oreos
- Mr. Darcy as a James Bond kind of character – looks like a fun movie
- Brownies! Cookies! In one delicious cookie!