the state of feeling annoyed, impatient, or angry.
|a cause of this.
plural noun: irritations
“the minor irritations of life”
synonyms: irritant, annoyance, thorn in someone’s side/flesh, bother, trial, torment, plague, inconvenience, nuisance, aggravation, pain (in the neck), headache, burr under someone’s saddlesynonyms:
|irritant, annoyance, thorn in someone’s side/flesh, bother, trial,torment, plague, inconvenience, nuisance, aggravation, pain (in the neck), headache, burr under someone’s saddle|
My definition of irritation is some minor inconvenience that wastes time. For instance, all day yesterday I spent redoing passwords, calling websites to redo passwords, all because my email account had been hacked.
How do I know my email account had been hacked? Well, first, when I went to empty my trash, instead of just removing the “trash” emails, ALL my emails were removed! This is the email account I’ve had since, well… I started an email account. It had all sorts of 15 – 20 year old things that I’ve always been meaning to get to. Like an email with my oldest son’s first piano recital, except that this was before everyone had video on their phones, so I hadn’t really figured out a way to save it to a DVD for future viewing. Or the email from our local paper’s editor giving me a sneak peak at the nice little write-up they did when our second son had his Eagle Scout ceremony. (Gotta love small towns…) So yeah, THAT is all gone. Although, I caught it early enough that my email account server might still be able to restore them. I hope.
Second, I was actually working in my email, and had been in it for an hour or so, trying to save or find those lost little guys- after I’d changed my password of course – when I received an email letting me know that an attempt had been made to log in to my account 5 minutes ago. Since I was already in the email, I’m fairly certain someone else was trying to get in that wasn’t me.
So, what should have been a nice summery Sunday afternoon became, well, an irritation.
That’s the thing about an irritation. It’s usually a small, trite nothing that becomes a something which causes discomfort or annoyance. I mean, I’ll live without those emails, but they would be nice to have. And a Sunday is just another day, but I had to go in and change all the passwords and in some cases, logins, to most of our financial, insurance, etc.. websites. On every single phone, computer, tablet…. UGH! Complete waste of a beautiful day.
But, like Maria in The Sound of Music, whenever I find myself dealing with something like…. this…. I think about some of my favorite things. Hokey, but you can never discount the power of positive thinking, And I almost always think about the beach. Point of Rocks on Siesta Key Beach, FL, in particular. It’s where my family used to go in the summers when I was growing up. Even though there were roaches the size of horses in the house where we stayed, and I despise roaches with every fiber of my being, it’s still my happy place. So… no more irritable thoughts today about the horrible person that wants to steal from me, just… happy thoughts.
In that spirit, here are some of the things I came across this week that made me happy or contemplative or learned. And I want to share them with you. Have a delightful week!
- Why does only 1/2 your nose seem to work at times?
- Walnut pesto
- Why Brits are so obsessed with tea ?
- Work on keeping your brain functioning well with this app – better than Angry Birds!
- One of my sons has a thing for apple pie, but this green apple pie smoothie looks healthy and delicious
- Martha Stewart has her own flavor of Triscuits and they are delicious!
- With a bunch to harvest from my garden, I’m going to make these wok-charred snow peas
- Simple ways to detox your diet
- Great composition techniques for photography
- 100 year old chalkboards unearthed in Oklahoma – if someone can explain the multiplication circle, let me know!
- Fig, Proscuitto & Burrata Salad
- Why you shouldn’t cross your arms – Body Language 101
- Easy, inexpensive but great DIY decoration idea using embroidery hoops
- Now that summers here, doesn’t this sparkling blueberry ginger iced tea look refreshing?
- Sweet story about true sportsmanship
- Former atheist astrophysicist explains her journey to Christianity
- Researchers discover a new body part!
- How to organize your spice cabinet
- Printable luggage tags that will stand out on the airport carousel
- Crocodile Hunter’s daughter is all grown up
- Professors have issues with educating millennials
- Sheryl Sandberg reflects on the loss of her husband with this touching post on Facebook
- This weather in a box actually replicates the weather forecast
- Vermont doctors write prescriptions for something unexpected… and something we probably all need
- Adorable video of toddler receiving shots and taking it like “a man.”
- For $30 bucks, I need to do this – transfer VHS tapes of my kids when they were little to my computer
- Why didn’t I think of chai ice cubes?
- Since I now have bees, here are 11 ways to use honey for healthy skin, hair and nails
- I guess you really can make money on AirBnB
- I used to make my own cards and stationary when I was younger. Looking at these cute DIY ones, I wonder why I stopped…