When I was a wee one, Thanksgiving was the holiday to celebrate on my dad’s side of the family. The holiday was an all-day affair, and there were tables full of family members, young and old, in mmultiple rooms. Usually more than 50 people showed up for these gatherings.
One image that sticks with me (because there are photos, kept for posterity in order to humiliate me, I’m sure) is getting my haired curled. Getting my hair to curl is about as easy to do as getting my daughter to throw her clothes in the hamper instead of on the floor. Just sayin’…. Giant whopper curlers, and me sitting on several phone books under one of those bucket shaped salon style dryers, hating every minute of it.
But it was all worth it once the festivities began. Time spent running around with cousins, eating food that seemed “grown up” somehow, exploring attics and basements and backyards with unlimited hiding places… it was definitely a day where thanks abounded.
I know that Thanksgiving isn’t until next week, but it’s always good to start thinking ahead and preparing. Plus, it’s always a good thing to say thank you. So… thank you for taking your time to spend a little time at Swallows from my Kitchen Window. Blessings!
- Maybe these would make excellent turkey sliders after the holiday? – Pull-Apart Stuffing Rolls
- Born in Ohio, I think apple pie should always be served with cheddar cheese – Cheddar-Crusted Apple Pie
- I like salads at Thanksgiving, this one is right up my alley – Autumn Fig Salad
- Naturally, honey should be served with rolls
- For years, I’ve halved this recipe for bright yellow bread and instead made rolls each Thanksgiving
- Intriguing…. Thanksgiving croissants from Momofuku Milk Bar
- Don’t want men in one room and women in another? 20 games for the whole family
- Mashed sweet potatoes for a healthier option
- Every year someone asks for this apple cranberry bake recipe; (I make mine without oats and then eat it on top of oatmeal for breakfast all week afterwards… mmmm….)
- Herb compound butter for cooking your turkey
- Thanksgiving-inspired turkey burgers
- 20 table setting ideas
- Pumpkin spice Chex mix while you’re waiting for the turkey to finish
- Tutorial on a triple-folded napkin
- Perfect for full stomachs – apple pie “fries” with caramel sauce
- Ina Garten’s 5 tips for making some of your meal ahead of time
- Cranberries don’t have to be made into sauce to be incorporated into your meal
- Hilarious Thanksgiving family photos
- Loads of free Thanksgiving printables!
- The importance of saying “thank you“
- We spend this holiday eating so much, but it’s good to give. What food banks really need
- Saying thank you to God
- Pumpkin pie tiramisu!!!
- Need something cute and healthy? Fruit-filled cornucopias
- Maple glazed carrots as a healthy veggie alternative
- Abraham Lincoln was a master of words, Here’s his original Thanksgiving Proclaimation creating the holiday
- 5 steps to a happiness advantage – well worth the time to watch!
- Cultivating contentment and fighting fatalism – excellent reminder of God’s grace in our lives