Although I write because I just like to write, it’s nice to be noticed every once in a while. It’s encouraging when other writers stop by and show recognition for what I’ve posted on my blog. I’m honored to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by The Crafty Lady in Combat Boots, who is a gifted photographer and crafter as well as writer. So if you haven’t been to her site, please stop by and visit!
Like me, The Liebster Award has German origins. The word “liebster” has several definitions: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, and more. It aims to discover new bloggers and welcome them to the blogosphere. Bloggers award other bloggers.
Here are the rules for accepting the Liebster award:
- Post the award on your blog.
- Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 500 followers.
- Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
11 Random Facts about Me
- I don’t scream on rollercoasters; instead, I laugh. Loudly.
- Stonefruits (cherries, peaches, plums) are my favorite fruits.
- It was only 5 or 6 years ago I discovered that if I wore socks to bed during a cold winter night, it made the difference in warmth so I could fall sleep.
- Ocean colors are my favorite colors.
- I’m a direct descendant of someone who came to America on the Mayflower.
- I live in the South, but I just learned how to make sausage and biscuits and gravy last week.
- I used to make extra money as a product tester for focus groups. You know Flipz? Those chocolate covered pretzels in a shiny blue bag? In 2 hours, I made $100 to tell someone that salty pretzels and milk chocolate would probably sell.
- I once watched a sinkhole swallow up a couple trees, as well as part of a city swimming pool.
- Something on my bucket list is to be a float volunteer for the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, CA. I went to the Rose Bowl and Rose Parade when I was 7 years old. We toured the warehouses as the floats were being built and I can vividly recall the explosion of color and scent as we walked inside. I would love to go back to help build one.
- No matter the “real” name of any of our pets, I always call them some totally out-there nickname that everyone else adopts. Like “Little White Lion” or “Gingafoose.”
- My favorite childhood book is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle.
Here are the 11 questions The Crafty Lady asked me to share about myself:
- What is your biggest dream in life? To travel everywhere I can possibly go. I want to smell new smells, eat new foods, hear different languages, and meet your average Juan or Li Jing across the globe.
- Are you planning to make it happen and how? I’ve already been “across the pond,” but my husband and I plan to go visit our son in Europe later this year. After that? Machu Picchu? Who knows?
- If you could live in any other country except the one you are from, what would it be? That’s a tough one, but definitely somewhere warmer! I think Australia or New Zealand are at the top of the list, but Greece & Italy are right up there too.
- If you became a millionaire, what would be the first thing you bought/invest in? First, I would make sure that my family was taken care of, and after that, I’d donate money to some smaller non-profits that have mattered in my life. For instance, libraries in the cities we’ve lived in, or the Central Florida Zoo, which does a great job of teaching and entertaining on a limited budget in an area known for its mega-theme parks.
- What is the most embarrassing moment of your life this far? It was the time I jumped off the high dive at a water park in 6th grade and my bathing suit top came off. Mortifying.
- What is your favorite sport (to do, not to watch)? Swimming. There’s something sooooo soothing about following that black line, really paying attention to the rhythm of your breath, kicks and strokes.
- What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever heard/read of? Have you ever seen the Darwin Awards? Some of the insanely idiotic things people have done and died because of it… well, it just boggles the mind.
- What is the biggest reason why you decided to accept this challenge? I’m kind of an introspective, private person, but to be a better writer – a better me – sometimes I think I need to step out of my box and be seen.
- What would be your dream job? Well, I’ve already had it. I was able to stay home and homeschool my kids. I have loved being a mom. But if I had to choose a “job” job, I’d probably be perfectly content being an editor in a large publishing firm, able to read books ALL. DAY. LONG. and get paid for it.
- What is the scariest thing that has ever occurred to you? The world my kids and their children and grandchildren grow old in will be vastly different, more harsh, less kind, honest and trusting than the one I lived in.
- What would you do if you found a brand new iPhone 6 on the street that someone has lost? If I could figure out how to get into the contact list, I’d see if could find their “ICE” contact and let them know it had been found. If I couldn’t do that, I’d take it to the nearest Apple store so they could find the owner.
These are the bloggers I then nominate for the Liebster Award:
- Is There Anyone Listening?
- Home and Spirit
- Debbie Croft
- Transitioning Mom
- Boldly Believing
- Mama’s Musings
- Crafty Souls Together
- Miss Empty Nest
- Blessed Beyond Measure
- Traci Matt
- Cabin Pressure May Change
These are the questions I wish to ask the nominees:
- Who would you consider your hero and why?
- What’s the one piece of advice you’ve been given that you’ve taken to heart?
- What’s one of your favorite holiday traditions?
- Why did you decide to start a blog?
- What’s the biggest fear you’ve ever faced and then overcome?
- If you could invite 3 famous people to dinner, who would you invite and why?
- If you were on a reality show and the $50K you won went to a charity, which charity would you choose?
- What’s the #1 item on your bucket list?
- What book would you recommend everyone read?
- Do you find greater freedom in organization or in chaos?
- Which actor or actress would you choose to portray you in a story about your life?