Some days, some weeks, some hours just seem to be more productive than others, don’t they? This past week, I was pretty productive, but not necessarily in some of the things that were on “my” list. Maybe others’ lists, or maybe not, but it seemed that I got a lot done, just not the things I had planned. What is it Doris Day sang? “Que sera, sera”?
Are you a good sleeper? Unfortunately, I’m not. Don’t get me wrong; I really do love to sleep. It’s just that my mind is overly productive thinking about the productivity of that day or the next day. Conversations that were had or need to be had, phone calls to make, which bills to pay so that we can still afford to do or buy ____, the fastest or most efficient route to drive when running errands, what time I need to get ____ out of the freezer so that it will thaw by x o’clock so I can start cooking it… the list that uploads into my head at night is endless. And when my productivity is skewed away from well, “the plan,” sleep suffers.
It seems like everyone I know, with maybe the exception of my father, falls into the “I can sleep all day” category. Truly, what’s the secret to shutting off your brain??? I’ve tried melatonin, essential oils, tart cherry juice, honey before bedtime, reading, reading the Bible, turning off the TV an hour before I hit the pillow, taking a bath 2 hours before bedtime, I exercise, I eat well, everything short of getting prescription medicine (which I am loathe to do), and still… I can only manage about 2 or 3 days of more than 6 hours of sleep a night.
I know Martha Stewart says she gets by on that much or less, but really, Martha Stewart has a reputation for being Martha Stewart. (Not that I don’t love her, it’s just that you have to have that no nonsense attitude when it comes to running such a large business, and I don’t have it.) Besides, with under 6 hours of sleep, I tend toward the moody or grumpy or less-than-pleasant conversationalist. And I don’t like being that. So, if you have any remedies that have helped you achieve that zen state of prolonged sleep, please. PLEASE – do share!
- Flying cars! Meet George Jetson…
- How to hide – or get rid of – your under eye dark circles
- Marilyn Monroe had weight fluctuations and no one batted an eye about it
- Make the most of drawers in your kitchen
- Apps to make air travel easier
- The art of letter writing maybe isn’t gone after all – write “love” letters to strangers
- Ricotta gnocchi – I’m in
- How to peel a mango with ease
- Amazon and Google are losing the war – interesting 15 minute video
- Stop checking your email so much to reduce your stress
- 7 ways to learn to trust God in ALL things
- Even though winter’s on its way out, these boot liners are so adorable!
- This red mulch supposedly makes tomatoes and strawberries grow bigger and better
- Cherry jam tart
- Incredible paintings created by a blind artist
- Keep a 1 sentence daily journal to be happier
- How often people really wash their clothes
- Etiquette rules for guest books
- Easy 10 day spring cleaning schedule
- 41 photos that might get parents arrested these days
- TED talk on why more choices may incapacitate us
- Genius and easy way to peel a mango
- 27 apps to save you money
- Easy homemade marscapone cheese
- 35 small things to clean that will help you feel organized
- How we use food and what it says about our faith – definitely thought-provoking
- Gumroad – like Etsy for your books, music, software and more
- Starbuck’s secret menu recipes
- How to taste honeys
- 2 ingredient Nutella souffle
- I’m making this – abstract painting tutorial