I receive A-Poem-A-Day delivered to my email inbox, well, every day. I’ve been getting them for years, because as a homeschooler, it’s always good to have a little culture in school, and also because it seems not many people read poetry much any more. I don’t always read all of the poems (ones about bugs or deep sadness just don’t do it for me) but sometimes I see a little more beauty in the day because of the daily poem I read, or make a connection to the past based on the poem. Today’s poem was interesting to me, because even a hundred years ago, someone was bemoaning the fact that there wasn’t as much time to relax as in days past.
A hundred years and we’re still wishing we had more time in the day.
Which can be a good thing… or a bad thing. Sure, we cram so many activities into our daily routines that we don’t stop to smell the roses. (Bad thing.)
On the other hand (good thing), I think this is uniquely part of the larger American story. Somewhere in our DNA is this need to strive to do more, be more, think more, create more. It’s served us well as a nation, so while we might all want a little more time off, it’s truly kind of great that we are a nation of do-ers, rather than watchers. So next time you’re feeling a little overwhelmed by your to-do list, remember that you’ve been blessed to live in this great land, where you can accomplish what you set out to do. Now…. go kick some butt this week! Be great, because you ARE great!
Amy Lowell, 1874 – 1925
Leisure, thou goddess of a bygone age,
When hours were long and days sufficed to hold
Wide-eyed delights and pleasures uncontrolled
By shortening moments, when no gaunt presage
Of undone duties, modern heritage,
Haunted our happy minds; must thou withhold
Thy presence from this over-busy world,
And bearing silence with thee disengage
Our twined fortunes? Deeps of unhewn woods
Alone can cherish thee, alone possess
Thy quiet, teeming vigor. This our crime:
Not to have worshipped, marred by alien moods
That sole condition of all loveliness,
The dreaming lapse of slow, unmeasured time.
- One more great reason to eat avocados – they fight cancer
- 15 ideas for summer entertainin
- Interesting app – turn your thoughts into action
- How one student changed his high school for the better
- Easy Barefoot Contessa icebox mocha cake
- Ina Garten on saying “no,“
- Are you an overthinker?
- Coconut orange ice cubes for your iced coffee
- Chopped Thai salad with garlic dressing
- 9 things successful people don’t do
- How to get people comfortable when posing them for photos
- Compound avocado butter
- Chickpea water as egg replacement???
- How Alpha women are different
- Learn how to eat what you want without overdoing it
- Super selfie app
- What happens when you give up sugar
- In case of a zombie apocalypse, you need this skill
- Some people are just hard-wired for more risk
- The Belly Button Challenge is a thing
- Family yes & no’s
- Just be yourself
- 15 expressions the younger generations don’t understand
- How to lose the last 5 pounds
- Pineapple sweet potato soup – sounds summery
- Interesting method of getting rid of bad habits
- If everyday objects could talk to each other
- Surround yourself with people who are like-minded and you’ll be more productive