And isn’t it easier to be happy than not? Truly. Think about it. When you’re happy, you’re energized, motivated, focused, relaxed and relatively carefree. When you’re not happy, you’re lethargic, you want to hide, you want to procrastinate, and it’s often hard to just get through the day.
I honestly have to work at being happy. Certainly that’s not the case all the time; sometimes joy rolls in like a giant ocean wave, and sometimes it subtly surrounds me like a gentle spring shower. But most of the time, it’s a choice I make each and every day. Like everyone, I have good days and bad days, but the majority of days are somewhere in between, and I’ve found that I need to make a conscious decision to look at the positive to make whatever the day is turning out to be… better.
A few months ago, I started keeping a gratitude journal of 3 things each day that brought me happiness that day. And in almost every way, it’s helped. I still don’t always default to happy, but I’m more aware of what my mindset is and that I might need to reset it.
Something that’s become a pattern in my journal is that I put a lot of emphasis on something I’ve read or learned. Reading has always been something I’ve loved, and even though I railed against it like every other red-blooded high schooler, I really did – and do – love to learn. So when I post these items I’ve discovered the past week or so, I’m doing it just as much for me, as I am for you. Because finding and sharing these links makes me happy. Well, happier, at least!
I hope you can find something in them that brings a smile to your day too.
- Scientists say a really big quake is coming for Seattle
- Is exercise more important than a good night’s sleep?
- Uber-like apps for doctor house calls?
- Sounds like something my sister-in-law would do…. live on a sailboat and see the world
- It’s no secret; I love lists. Here are some great planners for your organized life
- Jamaican beef tacos
- The most amazing suitcase I’ve ever seen IN MY LIFE
- This tree grows over 40 different kinds of fruit! So fascinating!
- 102 things to do for free this coming weekend
- Why only you can understand your cat
- Farmer’s Market Salad
- “Baking” your makeup?
- How to mix and match fabric patterns
- 7 ways to get rid of wasps
- 8 talking habits of likable people
- Japanese noodle bowl using ramen noodles
- Why your muscles are sore after a workout
- Wow! Chocolate walnut date tart
- LOVE THIS! Take a moment to watch this video about judging others
- For your guests – free printable with your wifi password
- How to live without making trash
- Giant squid caught on camera for the first time and it’s HUGE
- What happy people DON’T do
- Animals taking baths
- Easy cherry frozen yogurt
- About that famous National Geographic photo of that Afghan girl
- There’s a blue moon this Friday 31