Sometimes it’s the simple things that make your day. Usually, it’s the simple things that make your day, because most days are simple. Most days aren’t red carpet worthy,jump out of an airplane or “make it off the Titanic alive” kinds of days.
Most days are just… days.
Days filled by the mundane. Laundry, filling up the car with gas, making phone calls to take care of some problem and being forced to listen to a 5 minute robo-list of choices, pruning the hedges in the front yard, brushing your teeth…
So it was the other day, the day after my daughter’s birthday. The birthday she ended up spending in bed with a 103° fever. The next day she was supposed to go on a Young Life retreat, so the next morning, still with a fever, she drove to the doctor to see if she could still go (she did.) Modern medicine is a marvel, isn’t it? Anyway, no matter how old she is, every cough, every trip to the bathroom she made, kept me in full-mom mode, and I got very little sleep that night. Knowing my sleepless ways, she stopped at a Starbucks and brought a coffee to me at work. (White Mocha Coconut Frappucino, by the way. The girl speaks my love language.)
That’s what we’ll remember and take with us when we leave this world.
As with most Mondays, here are the things that caught my attention through the previous week. Most aren’t earth-shattering, just (to keep with this week’s theme)… simple. Make it a great one!
- Does making your bed really make you happier?
- 3 American heroes show up to get medals and wear the quintessential American outfit.
- You’ve been cleaning your ears all wrong
- Hmmm…. whipped corn & ricotta dip
- For that extra kick of flavor, these ingenious vegetable powders
- Travel art – which one do I want, or do I want them all?
- Scientists finagle cancer cells back to normal
- This poor kid... he’ll never live it down
- Someone stole my debit card # this week and spent $1600 that was mine. Here’s how to protect your identity.
- Quiz… Is your grammar holding you back?
- 4 really unique kitchen design ideas
- I don’t like negotiating, but apparently being precise in a negotiation is important
- Playing with food… but I like it – it’s art!
- Turns out that octopuses are pretty territorial
- 5 practices for more loving relationships
- So…. maintaining a nice green lawn is going the way of the dinosaur?
- Coconut water kefir is a thing. Why you should drink it and how to make it.
- I would SO have done this as a science experiment when I was homeschooling
- No churn homemade salted caramel ice cream
- How great is this? Clarks shoes send an apology (as Transformers Optimus Prime) to a young boy
- Effie Trinket from Hunger Games would like this – hair tapestries
- Butterflies in space – just gorgeous!
- 26 healthy homemade snacks to make ahead. I think I want to make all of them.
- Very very clever street art
- Could Mr. Darcy afford Pemberly today?
- Do you hate the sound of chewing?
- Redbook is putting REAL women on the cover this month