That’s my buddy in the picture above. Since my dog Ginger died about a year and a half ago, this one – although technically my daughter’s dog, but we all know how that is! – sticks to me like glue. When Ginger was alive, I was most definitely her alpha dog, and by virtue of pack hierarchy, I’m now this one’s alpha as well. He’s temperamentally the complete opposite of Ginger; my buddy is slow, gentle, quiet, constant and steady.
Unlike children, I had a favorite dog. When Ginger was alive, she was it. Maybe it was because she made me hers, and the other dog was my daughter’s, but since Ginger is gone, I’ve learned to really appreciate my buddy’s steadfast character. Although my husband would say he barks at everything, he really only barks at the 5 dogs next door. And the dogs across the street. Because, dogs need to communicate with each other, you know? Pongo & Perdy taught me that and the value of the Midnight Bark way back, when I was 5 or something.
(May I just say that to this day, the Internet and the search engines it spawned, thrill me to no end! The fact that some of you may be clueless as to who exactly Pongo and Perdita are, but in seconds, I could link that for you, so you could find out yourselves, without a lengthy explanation from me, well, a big Kudos to Al Gore, inventor of the Internet! 😉 I completely believe that if I had had it back when I was a student all those many years ago, I would have been an incredible student. I already was a pretty good one, but boy – I’d have rocked me some awesome research papers, for sure!)
Anyway, I’ve learned to appreciate all the opposite personality characteristics of this sweet, furry, black dog. How is it that the things you once saw as “less than” can somehow become “more than” once your perspective and/or needs change? And yet, they do…
Enjoy these last few dog days of summer! Here are the Monday links:
- It’s not my airport (although it kind of feels like it is) almost every flight I take is through the world’s busiest airport
- Check out this handy fall foliage map
- Free fall adult coloring pages
- Basic. Perfect. Shortbread.
- Five time-proven tips to persuade anybody
- “Aha” moment about this – it’s HOW the wheat is harvested that’s causing problems
- This is my favorite upside down cake and gluten-free. (Although, I would add some cornmeal to it too!)
- Artist drew famous movie quotes for 365 days
- Upload your pet’s photo (see above!) & Publix will donate $1 to Southeastern Guide Dogs
- Languages throughout the world contain the same sounds for some of the same words
- If you’re a fan of Aldi, you’ll probably like this new German grocery chain coming to the US. I LOVE German grocery stores!
- Something about these drinking glasses that makes them seem like art
- When you don’t feel that you are enough... because we all have those days…
- Sometimes what seems like a good solution is actually a very, very bad one
- It’s the US Air Force’s 69th birthday. Here’s some great photos of USAF in action…
- Awww… a feel-good story to make you smile
- How to ruin your life without noticing
- Perfect fall gifts – or for yourself! – whipped gingerbread sugar scrub
- 10 reasons you should stretch
- Today’s teens may be part of the most conservative generation since WW2
- How to paint a room faster
- The power of awe
- It’s almost soup time! And there’s nothing like a good tomato soup for a easy meal or rainy day
- Unique family portrait ideas